American Legion Harold W. Hyland Post 53 was chartered in 1920. The members met in homes or club houses until 1948. The members managed to get a building from the Army training facility known as Camp Hahn, which was located near March Air Force Base, in 1947. They had to disassemble it and move it to our present location, where they re-assembled it. This was no easy task, because they did not complete it until early 1948. We have grown from 20 members in 1920, to our current membership of 456.
There are many activities at the Post, we have a Memorial Honor Guard that performs military honors for veterans at Riverside National Cemetery and local cemeteries. We also have a Sons of The American Legion Squadron for those who are male descendents of veterans and a Legion Riders Chapter for the motorcycle riders. The main goal of the post is to support veterans. We assist veterans by contributing to the VA Hospital in Loma Linda and veteran homes in Barstow and Chula Vista. Assistance is also given to any veteran that needs help by putting them in touch with the right organization. We also contribute to local community agencies that assist people in need. The American Legion motto is “Veterans still serving veterans”.